In this recipe, I take all of the flavors of pumpkin pie and put it in a glass, but with spinach and turmeric and without any of the added sugar of pumpkin pie. You heard me right, this recipe is free of added sugar! And somehow a perfect combination of healthy ingredients come together to form a delicious smoothie that tastes like pumpkin pie. No sugar necessary. It’s a-m-a-z-i-n-g!
Nutrition Info & Health Benefits
- Pumpkin is very nutritious, with 7 grams of fiber and over 200% of the recommended daily intake of vitamin A equivalent beta-carotene per cup.
- Spinach is also rich in carotenoids, like beta-carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin, all of which have been studied for their antioxidant capabilities and keeping the eyes healthy. Spinach is also rich in vitamin K, folate, manganese and antioxidant flavonoids, earning it a place on the list of foods that may protect against cancer. This article is very comprehensive and does a nice job of summarizing the research that has been done on the many beneficial properties of spinach.
- Coconut oil, which is a component of coconut milk, has been studied for everything from providing a quick source of energy to helping with weight loss to fighting viruses. While historically it has been frowned upon due to the high saturated fat content, recent research has suggested that there may indeed be a lot of benefit to coconut oil and thus coconut milk.
- Ginger and turmeric have both been studied for their ability to fight inflammation. According to the Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, curcumin, a compound in turmeric, has even been researched for its ability to fight the pain of rheumatoid arthritis. It’s pretty amazing stuff, which is why I hid some in this recipe! Did you know that ginger and turmeric are both also good for your digestive system?
- The almond butter in this recipe not only adds heart healthy fats and fiber, it also provides biotin, vitamin E, magnesium, and a wonderful depth of flavor!
Hints, Tools & Ingredients
Healthy Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
So there you have it. A smoothie that is gluten-free, vegan, Primal, sugar-free, GMO-free, and effectively hides vegetables and other health-promoting ingredients so you can consume them in a smoothie that tastes like pumpkin pie. It’s a pretty good way to consume your veggies, if you ask me!Check out the video below and keep scrolling down for the recipe!
World's Healthiest Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
Gluten-free | Dairy-free | Egg-free | Vegan | Paleo | Primal | Whole30 Compliant
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves raw
- 1 cup ice
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup applesauce
- ¼ cup almond butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1 can coconut milk (light is ok, or substitute plain, unsweetened non-dairy milk of choice)
- 8 oz water
Place ingredients in blender in order listed above (the heavier ingredients will push the spinach leaves down into the blades so they get blended well). Blend until smooth.