- using unsweetened cranberry juice instead of cranberry juice cocktail (which has 28 grams of sugar per 8 ounce serving), and
- choosing a ginger beer with reduced sugar
This recipe for Holiday Cranberry Citrus Morgan Mules is unique because it uses light ginger brew that has less sugar and no artificial sweeteners. My favorite is Reed’s Light Extra Ginger Brew, but Fevertree also makes a good ginger beer with less sugar. Q makes a particularly spicy ginger beer that is also lower in sugar than the average ginger beer. Find it on Vitacost here in a bottle or here in cans.
What’s the result? Each drink contains about 12 grams of sugar (not including the rum) instead of 27 grams of sugar. Less than half. Plus you get lots of great antioxidants from the cranberries. I guess that means you can have one more?!
Wait! Don’t forget to pick up copper mugs for your Cranberry-Citrus Morgan Mules! I picked this set of two with a shot glass and stir sticks, but there are lots to choose from at a reasonable price on Amazon.
Reduced Sugar Cranberry-Citrus Morgan Mule
This Cranberry Citrus Morgan Mule is perfect for your holiday party or an evening in fuzzy socks! The combination of cranberry juice with ginger and spices is a perfectly festive flavor combination, yet this cocktail will help you make healthier choices this holiday season since it has less than half the sugar of most mule cocktails. Cheers to that!
- 2 oz Captain Morgan spiced rum
- 3 oz unsweetened cranberry juice
- 1/2 oz lime juice
- 1/2 oz orange juice
- 4 oz low sugar ginger beer
- Put all ingredients in a copper mug with ice. Give it a stir and garnish with lime, orange slices and cranberries, if you want.