- I buy frozen organic cauliflower florets and frozen organic broccoli florets at Costco. They have the best price, unless you are able to grown your own or use fresh cauliflower and broccoli. Each contains premeasured bags that can be steamed quickly and easily in a steaming basket or microwave.
- If you don’t have leftover chicken to use, both Costco and Natural Grocers have organic boneless, skinless chicken thighs for a reasonable price. Put 3-4 chicken thighs (about 1 pound) in a baking dish and roast at 400 for 30 minutes, then tear into bite size pieces to go on top of the cauliflower mash.
- I use my trusty Ninja Master Prep to make the cauliflower mash. It’s only $35 for the blender and food processor attachments, and it does a good job of making the cauliflower mash nice and creamy!
Loaded Cauliflower Mash Cauliflower Casserole
Gluten-free | Grain-free | Low-Carb | Keto Diet-Friendly
Mashed Cauliflower Ingredients
- 2 lb frozen cauliflower florets or 1 medium head cauliflower, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 4 Tbsp butter (or non-hydrogenated shortening for vegan, Paleo and Whole30 version)
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/2 tsp salt
Loaded Cauliflower Mash Casserole Ingredients
- 1 large chicken breast or 3-4 chicken thighs (about 1 lb, cooked and torn into bite site pieces)
- 2 cups cooked broccoli
- 3 thick slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 2 green onions, slivered
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- If you don't have leftover chicken to use, oil a baking dish, arrange the chicken in a single layer, sprinkle with salt and roast at 400 for 30 minutes. Continue following the directions below while the chicken is cooking.
- Slice the bacon crosswise into bite size pieces and cook on medium-low heat until browned. Set aside.
- While the bacon is cooking, make the cauliflower mash according to instructions. While blending or mashing the cauliflower, steam the broccoli according to directions on the package, or about 5 minutes (you can use the same steaming basket so you have one less pot to clean).
- Spread the mashed cauliflower in a
- baking dish and top with ½ cup of shredded cheese. Arrange broccoli and
- chicken on top before sprinkling remaining cheese and bacon over it. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Serve with a sprinkle of sliced scallions. Enjoy!
Mashed Cauliflower Instructions
Steam cauliflower for 8 minutes, either in a steaming basket over boiling water on the stove, or in its bag in the microwave (cut a hole in the bottom and drain excess water after cooking if using this method). Place steamed cauliflower in blender with butter and salt. Let sit for a few minutes while the butter melts and softens.
Add the mayo and blend until smooth, about 1-2 minutes.