With the push for more vegetables and less carbs and calories, mashed cauliflower has appeared as a healthier alternative to mashed potatoes. Cauliflower is a great source of vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, B6, potassium, fiber, and antioxidants unique to brassica vegetables, making it a more nutrient dense choice than potatoes (see this article for more info). The tough part is that when mashed cauliflower is good, it rocks. But when it’s bad, well, you get the point. So here I am, hoping to knock your socks off with this super easy and creamy mashed cauliflower recipe!
This recipe was inspired by Sonia over at The Healthy Foodie. Her recipe for cauliflower mash included mayo, which turns out to be magical in cauliflower mash. I like my mashed potatoes and cauliflower super creamy, so I didn’t find it necessary to spend the extra time, effort and dirty dishes squeezing the water out of the steamed cauliflower. I simply steamed it and put it in the blender with salt and butter (or a non-dairy butter alternative to keep it vegan), then when the butter melted, I added the mayo and blended until smooth. It resulted in a super creamy and delicious cauliflower mash that is low-carb, keto diet-friendly, and can be made Whole30-friendly, Paleo or vegan, depending on the butter and mayo you choose. And it includes at least one full serving of vegetables!
Tips, Tools & Ingredients
Links to products are included below as part of this section. Some of them are affiliate links, which means that I may receive a small commission if you purchase a product through one of my links. Don’t worry, it doesn’t change the price you pay. Thank you for supporting Taste Abounds!
It is true that the mayo in this recipe is magical, but I must caveat that statement by saying that it has to be really good mayo. Like the kind you could eat out of the container with a spoon. Mayo that good. No Miracle Whip here, folks!
I’m enough of a mayo connoisseur that I have tried many different brands of mayo, and after trying all of those, I have a few recommendations. I’ve labeled them by diet type for easier navigation.
- Whole30: to make low carb mashed cauliflower that is Whole30-friendly, choose Primal Kitchen Mayonnaise. It’s the only one I’ve found that is both made with avocado oil and doesn’t include sugar. The best price I’ve found is at VitaCost, but it can also be found at most health food stores, such as Natural Grocers and Whole Foods.
- Paleo: If you want Paleo cauliflower mash, either Primal Kitchen Mayo or Chosen Foods Mayo will do. Chosen Foods Mayo is also available at VitaCost, Natural Grocers and Whole Foods, but the best price I’ve found is at Costco! Amazon often offers these options, too. You can see Paleo mayo options on Amazon below.
- Vegan: there are a couple of different mayo options to keep this easy cauliflower mash vegan. Veganaise is probably the most well known vegan mayo, but don’t overlook Just Mayo , which is not just vegan, it’s also non-GMO, which guarantees that the canola oil used to make it is not genetically modified. Both vegan mayo options are found in the refrigerated section of your local Natural Grocers or Whole Foods.
It should come as no surprise that I use the blender portion of my Ninja Master Prep to make this cauliflower mash. Yes, I love my Ninja! All it takes is about 2 minutes of blending to make a super smooth and creamy cauliflower mash. All with a gadget that costs about $35 for a blender and food processor. Check it out below!
Easy & Creamy Low Carb Cauliflower Mash
I hope you find this recipe easy and affordable, now that you know my tricks. On with the recipe!
This Mashed Cauliflower is so creamy and has great flavor! The recipe is super easy and the end result is Paleo, vegan, low-carb, keto and Whole30 friendly.Click To Tweet
Easy & Creamy Mashed Cauliflower
- 1 lb frozen cauliflower florets or 1 medium head cauliflower, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 2 Tbsp butter (or non-dairy butter alternative for vegan or Paleo/Whole30 version)
- 2 Tbsp mayo (see Tips, Tools & Ingredients for more info)
- 1/4 tsp salt
Steam cauliflower for 8 minutes, either in a steaming basket over boiling water on the stove, or in its bag in the microwave (cut a hole in the bottom and drain excess water after cooking if using this method). Place steamed cauliflower in blender with butter and salt. Let sit for a few minutes while the butter melts and softens.
Add the mayo and blend until smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
What do you think of this mashed cauliflower? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Disclosure: this post includes affiliate links for convenience. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.